Donations poured in Saturday for survivors of New York City's deadliest apartment fire in decades, which officials said was started by a 3-year-old boy playing with a stove.
A dozen people died, and four others were fighting for their lives a day after the flames broke out in the century-old building near the Bronx Zoo. But they left the apartment door open behind them, and it acted like a chimney that drew smoke and flames into a stairwell.
The fire was put out well before midnight and the building is now being searched.
But Nigro said there was nothing unusual about the structure of the building that would have made it especially prone to such a disaster, a point that Mayor Bill de Blasio, D, reiterated later on WNYC radio. "Others were helped out onto the fire escapes, taken down by our members".
"People had very little time to react", he said. Five of the building's residents were already dead when the fire department arrived three minutes after the first 911 call.
The boy's mother, who was in the apartment but not with the child at the time, was alerted to the blaze by his screams and grabbed him, along with his 2-year-old sister and fled their home. "He just came for the holidays". "Everything happened so quick", Batiz said.
"I don't know what to think". "I am still in shock".
Karen's husband Holt Francis later died in hospital where he had been admitted in serious condition.
El fenómeno de los tres soles en China
Sin embargo, expertos explican que se trata de una especie de espejismo que en China se conoce como "el sol con dos orejas" . El fenómeno duró unos 15 minutos, durante los cuales estos pequeños soles fueron desapareciendo.
The father said his son was staying in an apartment with friends. "They couldn't get back down the stairs". "It feels so surreal".
Numerous 25 families who lived in the Bronx apartment building were immigrants, "hard-working people going about their lives", said Jonathan Morris, the priest at the nearby Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church, who said he spent Thursday night with the families at St. Barnabas Hospital as they were called upon to identify the dead. Investigators will look at whether the door to the apartment was defective or if an obstruction prevented it from closing, he said.
More than 170 New York City firefighters reportedly responded to the scene of the fire.
So far, officials said they haven't found anything problematic about the building that led to the tragedy.
The fire has been considered one deadliest since the 1990 Happy Land Social Club arson that took 87 lives less than a mile away from Thursday night's fire. A mother and three children were killed when a fire tore through their Brooklyn home on December 18. Some escaped barefoot or in their nightclothes. One violation was for a broken smoke detector in an apartment on the first floor, reported in August. He said the baby's mother wasn't home because she was working. She spent the night at an aunt's house.
Soldier Emmanuel Mensah, 28, is believed to be among the dead, his father Kwabena Mensah told CNN.
"There's still around 10 families we have not connected with yet", said Michael de Vulpillieres, a Red Cross spokesman.