Doctors successfully remove 4-pound brain tumor, bigger than head itself


"In fact, the tumor was much bigger than his own head", he noted.

Surgeons in India claim they've removed the world's largest brain tumour in a gruelling procedure that lasted seven hours, according to local reports.

Pal had some swelling under the scalp, headache, heaviness, and complete blindness in his two eyes when he was admitted to the hospital's department of neurosurgery on February 1.

"The tumor was so big that it appeared as if a second head was mounted on top of the patient's head", Srikanth Balasubramaniam, a senior surgeon who was part of the operating team, told DW news service.

"Such cases are critical", said Dr Nadkarni, adding that Mr Pal needed 11 units of blood during the operation and after that, he was connected to a ventilator for a few days after the surgery. Even the scalp vessels had become tortuous and dilated.

The doctor explained that given the tumor's growth pattern, all they had to do in order to remove it was to cut the scalp area around it and to use the brain tumor's protruding point to cut its stem that compressed the brain. "Such large tumours are rare and a surgical challenge", Nadkarni said. Nadkarni said, "We have looked up medical literature from all over the world and it is the largest to be excised successfully".

Patrick Brown kicks off bid to reclaim PC leadership
The Barrie-based MPP, who will have to sit as an independent when the legislature resumes Tuesday, is now one of five candidates vying for the party's top post.

In addition, around 10% of the growth was inside Pal's skull.

Pal's surgery took a little over six hours to complete and required the skilled hands of five surgeons, Nadkarni included.

But his wife, Manju, told newspaper The Hindu that they had been told by doctors at three different hospitals in Uttar Pradesh that his large tumour was inoperable.

The doctors at Nair Hospital advised the couple on the risks of the surgery.

Unfortunately, Pal's brain tumor left the man blind, but the doctors expect him to regain eyesight after the surgery.

Pal is now recovering in the hospital's Intensive Care Unit and is in stable condition. As of now, the tumor was sent for biopsy and results are expected by next week.