Activists also fear the fresh kidnappings could undermine efforts to negotiate the release of the Chibok schoolgirls, and possibly even pave the way for more abductions by Boko Haram. Most are thought to be teenagers.
About 50 girls have been missing since Boko Haram extremists attacked a village in northern Nigeria that has a girls' boarding school, provoking fears they may have been kidnapped like those from the town of Chibok almost four years ago.
"The victims in the attacks were girls who were simply seeking an education", Nauert said. But we know for a fact that school girls have, once more, been taken hostage by Boko Haram under the leadership of an administration which specifically campaigned on the point of making such experiences a thing of the past.
A senior military source in the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, told AFP the girls from Dapchi were "found... on the border between Yobe and Borno".
"We have compiled 105 names of missing girls which we intend to give to the Bring Back Our Girls people in (the capital) Abuja", said committee chair Bashir Alhaji Manzu, whose teenage daughter, Fatima Bashir, is missing.
Subsequently, a government statement late on Wednesday stated that numerous missing girls had been freed by soldiers.
Since Boko Haram began its insurgency in 2009, more than 20,000 people have been killed and 2 million others forced to leave their homes in northeastern Nigeria, Africa's most populous country.
President Buhari also apologised to Nigerians over the incident.
President Buhari, in a statement on his Twitter page, has described the attack as a national disaster. "We are sorry that this could have happened", said Buhari in a statement, five days after the attack in the town of Dapchi, in Yobe state.
TCL's Alcatel 1X is the first Android Oreo (Go Edition) smartphone
The Alcatel 3X runs on Nougat while the other two devices in the same segment get the Android Oreo operation. Connectivity options include 4G LTE, VoLTE, VoWifi, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, and MicroUSB 2.0 port.
Earlier in the week he sent more security forces and a ministerial team to the area.
On Thursday, Yobe state officials issued a press release apologizing for that report and confirming that an unknown number of girls remain missing, defying the federal government, which has insisted it is too soon to know the fate of the girls in question.
Heavily armed jihadists stormed the boarding school in the remote town, forcing terrified students to flee into the surrounding bush.
"We met other girls and the teacher counted all of us".
"We stand resolute to continue our humanitarian and development work, including the rights and protection of girls". "I thought I will never see my parents or family again", she said, adding that she was too scared to return to the school.
Manzo, whose 16-year-old daughter, Fatima, is among the missing, said the schoolgirls' mothers and fathers would seek a meeting with Gaidam.
This has given rise to speculations, especially in the wake of reports that the terrorists did not harm residents of Dapchi but seemed to have specifically targeted the school, that they may be after ransom payment. There may be a difference between the present scenario and Chibok in that the denial period will not been as long this time, and we do not expect the First Lady to organize televised crying sessions citing blackmail.
The state governor, Gaidam said this much when his Kano counterpart, Abdullahi Ganduje paid him a visit in Damaturu.