"Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", Dawn Manteufel said. It was either that, or the bacteria would spread and eventually kill him. He recently had surgery to remove dead tissue and muscle from his leg amputations.
Manteufel's wife, Dawn, told the Post that at first he seemed to have the flu - with fever and vomiting on June 27. "During this process while his family and friends are in panic and chaos Greg has held his head high and is taking all the news like a beast".
'He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time'.
However, after doctors conducted several tests, they discovered Manteufel had actually picked up a infection from the bacteria capnocytophaga, which is commonly found in dog and cat saliva. The animals are immune to it.
Moonves Keeps His Job For Now as CBS Looks for Independent Investigator
On Friday, she tweeted that she "fully supported" Moonves, calling him a "kind, decent and moral human being". CBS has had little time to react, and the piece is already eating into the company's stock price.
Greg Manteufel, a 48-year-old Wisconsin man, recently had to have both of his hands and his legs amputated after contracting a bacterial infection, most likely from a dog's licks. One study published in the National Institutes of Health found the bacteria present in 69 percent of dogs and 54 percent of cats. People over age 40 are more at-risk.
Infectious disease specialist Silvia Munoz-Price told Fox Manteufel had a "very severe response" to the infection.
A bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus attacked Greg Manteufel quickly and aggressively.
The Centers for Disease Control warns that this bacteria can infect a person even if they haven't been bitten. A report in the journal BMJ Case Reports in 2016 said these infections were an important cause of sepsis in the elderly, and described them as the "lick of death". These infections are more likely in people over 40 who have an immuno-compromised condition, or in people who excessively use alcohol or who have had their spleen removed, according to the CDC. Symptoms typically worsen rapidly.
According to the West Gate Pet Clinic, Capnocytophaga canimorsus infections are transmitted primarily through contact with a pet's saliva, generally through a bite wound, although infections may also be caused by a pet merely licking an open wound or burn.