Saudi king calls Erdogan as Khashoggi fallout widens

Compartir

The Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was meant to lead to his abduction from Turkey, according to two sources.

The report was attributed to two unnamed sources.

The Washington Post, to which Khashoggi contributed as a columnist, has said the Turkish government had told U.S. officials it had audio and video recordings showing how Khashoggi was "interrogated, tortured and then murdered" by a 15-member Saudi security team inside the consulate before his body was dismembered.

Mr Trump has said Saudi Arabia could face "severe punishment" if it was proven it was involved in Khashoggi's disappearance.

Mr Aldakhil's extraordinary message comes after Mr Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, disappeared on October 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Turkey to get marriage documents.

Saudi media on Monday echoed the kingdom's hard-line threat of retaliation for any sanctions over the disappearance and alleged death of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, as demands grew for boycotts of the same worldwide brands once courted by the kingdom.

Khashoggi vanished early this month after entering Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul. American lawmakers have threatened tough punitive action against the Saudis, and Germany, France and Britain jointly called for a "credible investigation" into Khashoggi's disappearance.

On Monday, King Salman ordered an investigation into the case. "Who knows? We're going to try getting to the bottom of it very soon". Turkish officials have also said they have audio and video recordings of Khashoggi's interrogation. The members arrived by unmarked police cars but said nothing to journalists waiting outside as they entered the building.

Koreas agree to break ground on inter-Korean railroad
There also was criticism in South Korea on Monday of efforts by Moon's government to keep North Korea happy. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressed displeasure about the Koreas' military agreements.

Previously, Saudi authorities had maintained Khashoggi left the consulate the same afternoon of his visit, but provided no evidence to support the claim.

JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon has cancelled plans to attend an investment conference in Riyadh amid growing tensions between the United States and Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia's ambitious Vision 2030 project - the brainchild of the kingdom's de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman - is heavily dependent on overseas investment.

In August, Freeland sent a tweet condemning Saudi Arabia's decision to jail prominent women's rights activists Samar Badawi and Nassima al-Sadah.

Meanwhile, more major players in global finance and industry are pulling out of a high-profile business conference in Saudi Arabia.

Bahrain called for a boycott of Uber, in which PIF has invested $3.5 billion, after its chief executive officer said he would not attend the conference.

Ford Motor Co Chairman Bill Ford also pulled out, as well as media organizations like CNN and Bloomberg which once served as sponsors of the conference.

Compartir