Saudis confirm Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside consulate

Compartir

According to the Saudis' explanation, discussions between Khashoggi and those who met him on his arrival at the consulate led to an argument and physical altercation.

Mr Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, lived in the U.S., having fled Saudi Arabia in September previous year. He said 18 people have been detained in connection to the probe. "The kingdom expresses its..."

His body has not been recovered.

Sawers also maintained that the prince likely would not have moved against Khashoggi, a USA resident who disappeared October 2, unless he was convinced he had nothing to fear from the U.S.

The White House issued a statement in response to the Saudi state media report, saying, "We will continue to closely follow the worldwide investigations into this tragic incident and advocate for justice that is timely, transparent, and in accordance with all due process".

The Gulf kingdom admitted last night that Khashoggi was killed at the consulate but said he had died after a fight broke out, claiming Salman had no knowledge of the alleged hit.

Speaking to reporters in Scottsdale, Arizona, ahead of the Saudi announcements, Trump said it was too early to say what the consequences for the incident might be, but that the US Congress would be involved in determining the American response.

United Nations chief Antonio Guterres meanwhile demanded that those responsible for Khashoggi's death be held to account.

G League to offer $125000 contracts to elite prospects
WNBA players can opt out of their current collective bargaining agreement with the league by October 31. As of now, players have to be 19 years old or a year removed from high school to be draft eligible.

That's significant because, also according to CNN, this General is the person who was in charge of the 15-man team who went to the consulate to meet Khashoggi.

Senator Lindsey Graham, a close Trump ally who has nonetheless been outspoken about Khashoggi, doubted the credibility of the Saudi authorities, which insisted for weeks that he left the consulate.

After days of conjecture, reports and 24 hours since U.S. President Donald Trump said "certainly looks like" Khashoggi is dead, Saudi Arabia has confirmed this fact.

"Repeated accusations, allegations and biased media campaigns will not discourage (Saudi Arabia) from holding to its principles", Sheikh Abderrahman al-Sadis said during a sermon accompanying Friday prayers at the mosque in Mecca, the holiest site in Islam.

But earlier on Friday, speaking prior to the Saudi announcements, Trump said he might consider sanctions against Saudi Arabia over the journalist's disappearance, while emphasizing the importance of the US-Saudi relationship.

Turkish officials say that Khashoggi - a USA resident - was killed by a 15-member Saudi hit squad after he entered the consulate on October 2.

On Wednesday, the Turkish pro-government newspaper Yeni Safak, citing what it described as an audio recording of Khashoggi's slaying, said the squad immediately accosted the journalist after he entered the consulate, cutting off his fingers and later decapitating him.

Compartir