Khashoggi's fiancée asks Trump to press Saudis for his body

Compartir

Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., speaks at an event to remember Jamal Khashoggi in Washington.

"I would like him to support Turkey's efforts in trying to bring light to this situation and to discover the whereabouts of his body", said Cengiz, who was waiting outside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2 when the journalist went inside to obtain paperwork for their planned marriage, never to re-emerge. "But now we see that they didn't just cut it up, they dissolved the body". "The treatment of the body is a separate crime".

Writing that the murder had involved a "lot more than a group of security officials", President Erdogan called for "the puppet masters behind Khashoggi's killing" to be exposed.

"Despite our well-intentioned efforts to reveal the truth, no concrete results have come out of those meetings", the Istanbul chief prosecutor's office said, adding that it was in this light that it had been "obliged" to share the details about how Khashoggi was strangled and his body "dismembered and destroyed", in accordance with plans made in advance.

Istanbul's top prosecutor said this week that Khashoggi was strangled immediately after he entered the consulate on October 2 and that his body was dismembered before being disposed of.

"The murder of an innocent person is one crime", adviser Yasin Aktay told the Hurriyet newspaper.

There was no immediate comment on the report from Turkish officials.

Aktay's statement comes after the first official acknowledgement from the Istanbul chief prosecutor, Irfan Fidan, on Wednesday that Khashoggi's body was "dismembered and destroyed" after his death at the hands of a team of Saudi officials who flew in from Riyadh to kill him.

Red Sox unsure on White House visit if invited by Trump
The Boston Red Sox say they haven't decided whether they will visit the White House if invited by President Donald Trump. For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website .

After initially saying Khashoggi had left the consulate alive, the Saudi administration admitted weeks later he had died there.

Hatice Cengiz, Khashoggi's fiancee, has written in the Washington Post, calling on the worldwide community to bring the perpetrators to justice.

But, the statement said, the Saudis had not answered three questions the Turkish side posed - namely, where Khashoggi's body is; whether Saudi investigators had uncovered evidence about the planning of his killing; and the identity of the reported "local collaborator".

The kingdom has faced intensifying global pressure to be transparent about the death of Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post who was a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

"Today I am inviting the global community to take serious and practical steps to reveal the truth and to prosecute those involved in a court of law".

According to reports, Pompeo told a Saint Louis radio station the U.S.is still in the process of gathering evidence. "There is no explanation for this hate", she wrote.

"With this tragedy, the Trump administration has taken a position that is devoid of moral foundation", she wrote.

Compartir