Man City thrash Southampton to go top again


Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola insisted there was still room for improvement from Raheem Sterling after the forward's astonishing performance in a 6-1 win over Southampton that returned his team to the top of the Premier League.

The win means they hold a two-point lead at the top of the table on 29 points, with Liverpool and Chelsea, who beat Crystal Palace on Sunday, both on 27.

Andros Townsend's superb low finish had cancelled out a Chelsea lead given to them by Spanish forward Morata's clever shot-on-the-turn.

Southampton manager Mark Hughes felt the opening 15 minutes, in which Wesley Hoedt scored an own goal and Sergio Aguero struck, set the tone. "We spoke about that in training and said try to score goals".

"I thought it was a great team performance".

Sterling unselfishly squared for Sane in second-half stoppage time to allow the Germany worldwide to score City's sixth, and he said the winger often does the same in return.

Sterling crossed for David Silva to volley in number three and, after Ederson's foul on Danny Ings allowed the Southampton forward to score from the penalty spot, Sterling scored in first half injury-time after Aguero gamely kept a loose ball in play.

Unión y Patronato, a mano
El caso está en manos de la fiscal Cristina Ferraro , de la Unidad Especial de Homicidios del Ministerio Público Fiscal. Cabrera fue trasladado al Hospital Cullen, pero a pesar de los esfuerzos médicos, falleció minutos más tarde.

City are scoring at a marginally faster rate than they did while racking up a record 106 goals last season, and they made a devastating start at the Etihad that finished the game as a contest within 18 minutes of kick-off.

It was the Argentine's 150th league goal for City, a landmark that moved him level with Michael Owen in eighth place on the Premier League's all-time goalscoring list.

In truth, one of them probably should have just had a shot but you can't blame them for wanting to score the ideal goal.

It may be harsh to single out one Southampton defender given they were all dire, but Hoedt arguably endured the most hard outing, haplessly giving City the lead.

However there was never a hint that Southampton might be able to launch anything resembling a fightback and City ended the half as they had begun it - by scoring.

But City continued to threaten, and Sane nearly made it five with a vicious left-foot shot from the edge of the area that struck the bar just after the hour. He then added a fifth after the break and Sane made it six in stoppage time.