Britain’s Prince Philip, 97, recovers after Land Rover crash

Compartir

Queen Elizabeth's 97-year-old husband Prince Philip has "no injuries of concern" Buckingham Palace said on Friday, after he visited hospital for a precautionary check up following a vehicle crash the day before.

A statement from Norfolk Police about the incident, read: "The driver of the Kia, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee while the passenger, a 45-year-old woman, sustained a broken wrist".

The following day, Prince Philip did visit the hospital "on doctor's advice", with Buckingham Palace confirming the Duke of Edinburgh "had no injuries of concern".

Prince Philip was not injured in the crash, but went to a nearby hospital for a precautionary check-up on Friday.

CTV News Royal commentator Richard Berthelsen says there has been "concern" over Prince Philip continuing to drive in his advanced years.

"And there was an elderly gentleman in there, otherwise known as the Duke of Edinburgh, and I helped him get out of the vehicle".

The 97-year-old reportedly said "I'm such a fool" after being pulled from his wrecked Freelander on Thursday after it flipped on its side following a collision with a Kia close to Sandringham.

Since taking a step back, Philip has been seen in public at a handful of events with the Queen and other members of the royal family, including last year's weddings of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank.

Though Thursday's crash has triggered a debate in Britain about old age drivers, Edmund King, president of The AA motoring association, said new drivers were more prone to accidents.

Witnesses revealed Philip was shaking and pleading "get me out" after his Land Rover crashed while he was out driving alone without a protection officer.

Denuncia AMLO fraude millonario en gobierno de Peña
Durante su conferencia matutina de este viernes, López Obrador señaló que ya están revisando este caso e incluso acaba de resolverse acerca de la responsabilidad de los inculpados.

The Duke of Edinburgh exchanged well wishes with the others involved in the collision.

Buckingham Palace representatives were unavailable when INSIDER reached out for comment.

Warne added, "He was obviously shaken and then he went and asked if everyone else [in the other car] was alright".

It is thought that his Land Rover may have been armoured, which could have helped protect him.

"We can confirm both drivers were breath tested and provided negative readings".

The queen is the only motorist in Britain who does not need a driving licence, as they are issued in her name.

Of Prince Philip's vehicle, he said: "I didn't see it come from the side road". After giving up polo at the age of 50, he took up horse-drawn carriage racing, beginning by practising in the grounds of Sandringham and eventually racing at the World Champions in 1982.

Other witnesses said there was a "blinding" sun in the sky at the time of the crash.

Philip retired from public life in 2017, although he still occasionally appears alongside his 92-year-old wife at official engagements.

Compartir